Thursday, May 15, 2014

It is not MY will, but THY will be done.



This is a pin that I ran across while scrolling through my Pinterest this morning. My initial thoughts were extremely selfish, as certain things in my life right now are not going the way I wanted them to. I was even a little bit bitter towards this certain pin when I saw it. More than once, I have asked myself why things aren't going the way that I thought they should have gone. I'm trying my best to be a Christ-like person, I reach out to those in need, I dive into the words of the Lord every so often, I pray daily, so why can't anything in my life seem to go right? It's one thing after the next. 

At about 1:00 pm today, I received a message via Facebook from an old friend letting me know how much she needed to read my last blog post and how much better it made her feel. She said she admired me for putting my love for God out there and not being afraid of what other people thought. 

Little did she know, that her message made me realize what a selfish and ungrateful person I have been lately. The number of times I talk about what I want in a day should be illegal. She caused me to think about this pin that I saw earlier this morning. 

God isn't punishing me. God isn't trying to make me miserable. God is saving me. God is helping me become the person that he meant for me to be. 

So often, I have to remind myself that it isn't MY will, but it is HIS that will be done. Sometimes, we interfere with what God wants and our plans that we make for ourselves end up wrecking us, like the pin says. God never wants that. He wrecks the plans that we make for ourselves because he knows all and he knows that our plans may be what ends up wrecking us. 

Have you ever prayed for something over and over again? Something that you think you got the answer for, but you ignore it because it isn't the answer you wanted? God gets sick of giving us the same answers over and over again. Eventually, he will just let us have our way. 
I spent two years of my life praying about something that I knew wasn't right. God had, in different ways, told me no over and over again. "No" is NOT what I wanted to hear. I, being the selfish person that I am sometimes, ignored God and continued to pray to him about this endeavor that I was pursuing. Eventually, I didn't get a "No" anymore. I didn't get anything. So that obviously meant that God thought that it was okay now, right? WRONG. And let me tell you, boy did it wreck me. 


Now, I'm sure that this has never happened to any of you because I know you're not ever as selfish as I am, but I felt the need to share this message. So why, when you seem to be doing everything that you can to be a Christ-like person, does it seem that nothing is going right? When pondering this specific question, I came across a quote by Thomas S. Monson that is well known: "We can't direct the winds, but we can adjust the sails." So what exactly does that quote have to do with God wrecking our plans that will eventually wreck us? Well, it simply has to do with our attitude. When you put your full trust in the Lord, he will steer us in the direction that we need to go. He has full control of the winds, and it is up to us how we will adjust the sails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment